Parish Council Meeting Minutes 05/06/17

HORTON KIRBY AND SOUTH DARENTH PARISH COUNCIL

 

MINUTES of the MEETING of the PARISH COUNCIL held on

5th June 2017 in the Village Hall, South Darenth at 7.30 pm

 

Present: Cllr I Blackamore

D Mitchell, T Moyle, C Page, P Rushbrook, M Stead, J Stewart,

C Willson

Cllr P McGarvey, District Councillor

 

Members of the public: Malcolm Dunn DRiPS, Ken Bonner – Streetlights, 6 members of public

 

In attendance: H Rohard, Parish Clerk

D McFall, Assistant Parish Clerk

 

16          APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

Received from Cllr Gough District Councillor and Cllr R House

17        DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

None.

18           MINUTES OF LAST MEETING

The Minutes of the last meetings held 15th May 2017 were signed as a true record.

 

19           MATTERS ARISING

Bin near Paper Mill Green: SDC is now emptying this.

 

Heathside Play Area Proposal: Planning application has been submitted by Cllr Stewart.

 

Arriva buses: letter to Arriva outstanding

 

All other action points had been completed.

 

20          POLICE MATTERS

The PCSO was unable to attend and send a report by email as follows:

Firstly I’d like to apologise that I couldn’t make it along to the meeting to introduce myself to the parish, I’m into my first month as the PCSO in the area and I hope to meet most of you soon.

 

I understand there are concerns around burglary in the village; there has been a lot of effort made to stop the trend of burglary in the area. There is an ongoing police operation which is targeting the offenders and positive arrests have been made recently. I would encourage anyone who would like to hear more around this to attend the meeting on the 13th of June. There has been 1 report of burglary since the end of April, but please always report any suspicious behaviour either on 101 or 999.

 

Last week I held a police surgery to allow people could discuss concerns and issues with me and this is something that I will do in the future; please keep an eye on the Kent Police website as this is where I keep these dates and meetings up to date.

 

I’d also like to just give a quick reminder to check your outbuilding and shed security at this time of year and ask you to take extra care to make sure mowers and garden equipment are locked up and secure.

 

21           QUESTIONS FROM THE PUBLIC & CORRESPONDENCE

There were no questions from the public.

 

Correspondence received:

Dave Hollands reported that wood chippings under the play equipment at Saxon Place is not at the recommended depth; Cllr Blackamore responded that a quote for wet pour is awaiting as a possible replacement and the issue would be considered at ROS Committee meeting in June.

 

Potholes in Franks Lane had been reported to the Parish Office; Clerk will raise an online report to KCC

Email correspondence was received from Roger Fournel ref signage and damage to the bridge sent to Cllr Gough who has raised this

with the Highway Steward.

 

Letters of thanks were received from the Kent Air Ambulance, Scouts and NWK Volunteer Centre for grants given from the Parish Council.

 

Cllr Mitchell asked whether there had been any update on the Chimney work; Cllr McGarvey said that SDC are monitoring the situation and recommended checking with them and Crabtree.

 

22          STREETLIGHTING

Ken Bonner from Streetlights brought samples of LED lights and explained their applications to Councillors; the more expensive unit (£285) has a small target area should it be subjected to vandalism and was recommended for areas where this might be a problem. The cheaper LED fitting (£195) could be installed in existing lanterns. Energy savings of around 57% could be expected.

 

Councillors discussed how the savings would not be realised for around 3 years by which time LED lights costs may have been reduced. To replace already working lights would not be cost effective. Aesthetics of white and yellow lights were discussed should individual lights be replace rather than whole streets; as KCC have already replaced their lights with LED, yellow and white lights in the same street has not caused any complaints.

 

Cllr Moyle proposed that no changes to any lights be made until a light is broken at which time the most suitable LED replacement should be considered. Cllr Blackamore seconded the proposal. Voted unanimously.

 

Cllr Blackamore thanked Mr Bonner for attending.

 

23          HALLS COMMITTEE

The latest approved Minutes of the committee were received for information

24          REPORTS FROM DISTRICT COUNCILLORS

Cllr McGarvey reported that a new Chair has been elected, Cllr Larry Abraham.

A meeting of the River Cray and River Darent Catchment areas had taken place and there was much concern about proposal to remove weirs. DRiPS and Darent river groups were opposing this.

 

25          REPORT FROM COUNTY COUNCILLOR

Cllr Gough was absent

 

26          RIVER MEETING REPORT

A report was given following a meeting with Environment Agency, NWKCP, several Councillors and the Clerk, 2 May 2017. Cllr Rushbrook said that the differing aims of the EA and NWKCP and expectations of residents would be difficult to balance.

 

Cllr Moyle said that he had received complaints about the path between Westminster Field and Station Road. Cllr Blackamore reported that weed killing will be done as soon as the weather allows and cutting back of vegetation is scheduled for the week of 21st June. The Volunteer River Day is on 10th June and overhanding branches will be tackled then. Cllr Moyle reported the board walk to 100 Year Wood is now clear of nettles.

 

A member of public reported that horses are being ridden down the river from Franks Lane; signage and gates/styles to prevent this were discussed and will be referred to the PROW Officer at KCC. ACTION: Clerk

 

The report will also be considered by the ROS Committee when Darent Valley Landscape Partnership funding and projects start in the near future. ACTION: refer to ROS Committee.

 

27          PLANNING COMMITTEE

Cllr Mitchell proposed that a separate Committee be formed to deal with Planning applications as there has been an increase in the number of plans being dealt with in recent months.

 

After discussion it was agreed that planning applications would continue to be dealt with by the first appropriate meeting however Cllr House and/or Rushbrook would advise Councillors in advance of their recommendations, by email, when Agenda is circulated. Members should then look at plans online before the meeting in order to familiarise themselves with plans and to save time at the meeting.

 

28          BUILDINGS MAINTENANCE

3 quotes were not received in time for this meeting and will be considered at the July meeting.

 

29          FIREWORKS EVENT

Cllr Rushbrook who has taken responsibility for organising this event put forward a number of proposals; after discussion the following points were voted on:

 

  1. to sell tickets in advance: PR proposed; IB seconded voted in favour by CW, MS and JS
  2. to increase price of tickets to £3 in advance and £4 on the gate. PR proposed. No seconder.
  3. to increase the price of tickets to £3 on the gate but remain at £2 in advance: JS proposed CW seconded; voted in favour by IB, PR, MS
  4. to allow and charge commercial vendors at the event as long as not clashing with Scouts or others: Cllr Mitchell and Cllr Willson reiterated the arrangement by which the Scouts provide manpower in setting up and marshalling the event in return for fundraising and provision of free pitch.

PR proposed MS seconded voted in favour by 6 votes

  1. to provide and sell merchandise: PR proposed; no seconder
  2. to provide another light at the entrance nearest the brick store; IB proposed MS seconded – voted unanimously

RESOLVED the following changes to Fireworks Event:

Tickets will be sold in advance at any outlet that is willing to hold tickets at £2 each and on the gate at £3

Commercial vendors will be allowed at the event and charged (to be negotiated)

Another light is to be purchased to illuminate the entrance nearest the brick store.

 

30          YOUTH SERVICES

West Kent Communities provided a written response to queries raised at last meeting concerning costs should the Parish Council buy in a weekly service with Ash cum Ridley and West Kingsdown Parish Councils. The KCC funded model ‘6 weekly carousel of events’ would still be operating here whether the Parish Council paid for extra time or not.

 

After discussion it was agreed that the Parish Council wanted to take more ownership of the Youth service, taking forward the ideas from the St George’s Day Survey but would like to investigate what other youth services offer.

 

Cllr Mitchell proposed that the KCC funded service be left to provide Youth provision for the rest of the year and to review its effectiveness in December at Budget setting time with a view to commissioning Youth provision with WKC or another provider if necessary. Cllr Blackamore seconded. Voted unanimously.

 

Dave Hollands requested that transport for Horton Kirby young people be considered at that time to enable them to attend a youth club if held at the Jubilee Hall.

 

31           DCLG CONSULTATION ref PARK RUN

Members considered their response to Dept for Communities and Local Gov consultation regarding the free use of public parks for park runs. Unanimously agreed that no charge should be made to Park Run for use of public parks and will respond to the Consultation accordingly. ACTION: Clerk

 

32          SDC DRAFT HOUSING STRATEGY

The email link to this consultation will be circulated to members to participate. It has also been shared on the facebook page for residents to use. ACTION: Clerk

 

33          FINANCIAL MATTERS

Schedule Of Accounts

The schedule of accounts and payments approved for cheques to be signed.

Online Quickbooks Accounting: the decision to migrate to online accounting software at a monthly cost of £22 was ratified.

 

 

 

34          PLANNING

SE/17/01052/HOUSE

Pemba, The Street

Horton Kirby

DA4 9BY

Demolition of garage and home office to the front of the property. Erection of a double storey L-shaped side extension connected to the main building via a new glass walkway, single storey extension to west and double storey extension to south. Alterations to fenestration and roof. Balcony to south.

NO OBJECTION

 

SE/17/00006/HOUSE

The Green House

The Street, Horton Kirby

DA4 9BY

Erection of proposed two-storey rear extension including internal alterations

NO OBJECTION

 

35          WEBSITE/SOCIAL MEDIA/NEWSLETTER ITEMS

Cllr Willson said a number of enquiries had been dealt with via facebook in the last few weeks.

Cllr Mitchell reminded everyone that the newsletter is due to be edited and copy was needed.

 

The Clerk asked who would be Chairing the upcoming Police Consultation meeting; Cllr Roger House was proposed in his capacity as Police Liaison. Cllr Willson also volunteered if work commitments allowed.

 

36          DATE OF NEXT MEETING

3rd July 2017

 

Meeting ended at 9.30pm

Chairman:

 

 

Date: