Parish Council Meeting Minutes 03/04/17

 

HORTON KIRBY AND SOUTH DARENTH PARISH COUNCIL

 

MINUTES of the MEETING of the PARISH COUNCIL held on

3rd April 2017 in the Village Hall, South Darenth at 7.30 pm

 

Present: Cllr I Blackamore (Chairman) C Wilson (Vice Chairman)

R House, D Mitchell, C Page,

P Rushbrook, J Stewart.

 

Cllr R Gough, County Councillor

 

Members of the public: D Hollands, S Dove, D Carter and 3 members of public.

 

In attendance: H Rohard, Parish Clerk, Dawn McFall Assistant Parish Clerk

 

191         APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

Received from Parish Councillors T Moyle and M Stead. District Councillors, Cllr I Tennessee and Cllr P McGarvey.

 

192         DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

Cllr Blackamore declared a pecuniary interest in KCC Verges Grass Cutting Tenders item.

 

193         MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING

The minutes from the Parish Council meeting 6th March 2017 were confirmed and signed as a true record.

 

194         MATTERS ARISING

Silting in River Darent: Cllr Rushbrook will be meeting with Mark Gallant from NWKCP to assess and discuss areas of the river that are silting and narrowing the channel.

Buildings Maintenance: ongoing

Flying club issues: Mr Fitzpatrick who raised concern at last meeting has been liaising with the Clerk, Darent Cllr I Armitt, Concord Club, BMA and KCC. The PROW Officer for KCC has stated that there is no legislation controlling the use of Model Aircraft being flown over a PROW and therefore there is nothing that can be done to prevent this. No response has been received from either the BMA or Concord Club.

Neighbourhood Planning Training: Cllr House attended this on 22nd Feb and would like to arrange a briefing meeting with Councillors to facilitate a more in depth discussion than afforded in a Parish Council meeting; Clerk to liaise and arrange

Rural Community Energy Fund

The Clerk is liaising with Carbon Smart and has contacted all local groups with community buildings to gather any interest.

Streetlighting energy contract: The comparisons were disseminated by email and the most favourable contract identified as 3years with Eon which will run to 2020.

Bin near Paper Mill Green: The Clerk met with John Cox, SDC who agreed to adopt the offending bin providing Crabtree would agree to this; currently awaiting confirmation from Crabtree. The option to move the SDC bin would prove more difficult as it is bolted to the pavement

 

All other actions points had been completed.

 

195         POLICE MATTERS

The Clerk was waiting to hear from Stg Ballard at Swanley Police Station who the new PCSO would be for the Parish but in the meantime was assured that the area is being covered by other PCSOs and Police Officers.

 

196         QUESTIONS FROM THE PUBLIC and CORRESPONDENCE

Mr Carter commented on the Parish Council’s response to SDC following his Planning Application SE/17/00515/FUL The Chairman allowed some time for his view to be expressed but explained that the Planning decision lies with SDC and that the Parish Council’s comments have been submitted, therefore any further dialogue should be taken up with SDC directly.

 

Copies of Kent Archaeological Review were received for information detailing the Rescue Excavations at Horton Kirby, following the discovery of Saxon graves when creating a driveway in Saxon Place.

 

Email correspondence with Wide Horizons school were received regarding Coaches leaving engines running whilst dropping children to the school; this was following a complaint by a resident who felt it was unacceptable. However the school have explained that this is to allow the air conditioning to remain on whilst children and alighting from the coach and engines are then turned off very soon after this.

 

A letter of thanks was received from the HK Bowling Club in respect of the Grant given.

 

A letter of support for the Arriva Bus service 414 was received from Mrs Marjory Seal (MBE) which had also been copied to Cllr Gough (KCC) and his response.

 

A letter from DRiPS was received outlining the direction of the organisation and partnership working with NWKCP, EA and SE Rivers Trust. The Parish Council were thanked for their community involvement and hoped that other Parish Councils in the

Darent Valley would follow the good example set.

 

197         HALLS COMMITTEE

The latest approved minutes from the committee were received for information.

 

198         STREETLIGHTING

No representative had arrived from the Parish contractor, Streetlights.

 

199      REPORT OF DISTRICT COUNCILLOR

Neither were present.

 

200        REPORT OF COUNTY COUNCILLOR

Cllr Gough reported that he had met with Millen Court residents along with Julian Cook, KCC Highways and the Clerk. It was agreed in principle that a few strategically placed bollards could be installed to prevent parking on the western verge along with landscaping planting up of the verge if this was preferred. The ownership of the access road to Westminster Field was being investigated by KCC. The east side of The Street would not have more bollards keeping in mind the parking concerns of neighbouring properties.

 

There is now the spring ‘Pothole Blitz’ following the release of Government funding.

 

Cllr Rushbrook mentioned that the broken chevron signs at Franks Lane had not been replaced since the last meeting; Cllr Gough confirmed that he had reported it.

 

201         GRANT APPLICATION TIMETABLE

Cllr Blackmore explained that over the last year the Parish Council had worked with no deadline being imposed on applicants for Grants. This had however proved very difficult to manage; after further discussion Cllr Blackamore proposed that a deadline of 31st December be introduced with the Grants Committee meeting in January/February to allow payment at the March Parish Council meeting. Cllr Page seconded this. Voted in favour unamimously. RESOLVED new deadline of 31st December for Grant Applications be imposed, with payment of Grants by 31st March the following year.

 

202        GENERAL POWER OF COMPETENCE

Information had been circulated to members by the Clerk to explain this power given under the Localism Act 2011; this is the first time that the Council now satisfied the criteria and could declare the power at the next Annual Meeting of the Parish Council if it so wished to. After further discussion Cllr Page proposed that the power is declared at the AMPC in May seconded by Cllr Stewart. Voted unanimously.

 

203        RATE RELIEF FOR PUBLIC TOILETS

Correspondence was received from KALC to urge support for amendment to the Local Gov Finance Bill to provide 100% mandatory rate relief. ACTION Clerk to write to local MP

 

204        FINANCIAL MATTERS

Schedule Of Accounts

RESOLVED that the schedule of accounts, as submitted, be approved and payments made accordingly.

 

205      YOUTH SERVICES

A report was received from the Clerk following a meeting with West Kent Communities and the Clerks for New Ash Green, West Kingsdown and Hartley (the NAG ‘hub’ which includes HKSD and Farningham Parishes)

 

After discussion it was felt that another meeting should be set up directly with WK Communities to determine the service for this Parish and costs. ACTION: Cllr Blackamore

 

206      KCC VERGES GRASS CUTTING TENDERS

Cllr Blackamore left the meeting and Cllr Willson assumed the Chair.

 

A report was received from the Clerk who had worked with Farningham and Eynsford Clerks to seek joint and individual quotes for the Parishes to see whether it would be more cost effective as a consortium.

 

7 companies were invited to tender; 4 responded. 2 offered a 10% on a joint contract with the other Councils. Nepicar however were still the cheapest.

Cllr Mitchell proposed that the contract be awarded to Nepicar seconded by Cllr Stewart carried by majority vote of 5. ACTION Clerk to liaise with Nepicar, KCC and other Parishes.

 

207      ST GEORGES DAY

Preparations for the day were discussed. The Resident Survey was dispensed with this year in favour of the specific feedback being sought on the new playground proposals for Heathside and other development there. Cllr Stewart and House are overseeing this presentation and feedback.

 

Cllr Page was concerned that comments about the Bus service would not be collected and was anxious that residents be given a chance to support the service following a recent complaint was passed to the Parish Council. As the bus service is not under threat, but was perceived to be by some, it was felt that a statement be put in the Parish Magazine to assuage any fears would be the best course of action.

 

ACTION: Clerk to liaise with Hawley Marquees ref keys

 

208      CHARITY EVENT

Cllr Mitchell explained a concept to enable a charity to raise funds whilst providing a community event day by using the Village Hall and Heathside. She proposed that the venue be offered free of charge to enable maximum profit of the event to be given to a charity of choice by a third party organiser. The Clerk reminded the Council that a number of local not for profit organisations hire and pay for the hall and this would be unfair on them to offer to another for free. Cllr Mitchell suggested that costs for local groups also be waived. Cllr House cautioned against reducing any revenue stream to the Council when Local Government funding is likely to be cut further.

 

Dave Hollands (SPCA) commented that dates for local events are already set for this year and offered to send a list that the SPCA is aware of.

 

After further discussion it was agreed to explore the idea further but no decision was reached on whether the venue should be allowed free of charge. ACTION: list of dates to be sent to Cllr Mitchell of local events

 

209      PLANNING

SE/17/00659/FUL

Franks Hall

Franks Lane, Horton Kirby

DA4 9JJ

Relocation of existing site access.

 

SE/17/00917/HOUSE

NO OBJECTION

 

The Farmhouse

Mussenden Lane

Horton Kirby DA4 9JW

Installation of an external sunken spa hot tub in a paved garden area to the rear.

 

SE/17/00772/HOUSE

NO OBJECTION

 

Bayhams Cottage

Rays Hill, Horton Kirby

DA4 9DB

Erection of a single storey side extension and a first floor rear extension.

 

OBJECTION: Close proximity of the proposal to the boundary is less than 1m

 

210         NEWSLETTER/WEBSITE/SOCIAL MEDIA

Cllr Blackamore requested that Agendas are put on the website; the Clerk apologised for the omission of the recent Halls Agenda as human error, however the Parish Council Agenda could not be added in time due to the website being down for maintenance by EiS.

 

 

211         DATE OF NEXT MEETING

Monday 15th May 2017

 

The meeting closed at 9.25pm

Chairman:

 

Date: